Monday, March 4, 2013

One Day More!

Another day, another destiny. Okay, I’ll stop.

What an amazing journey this has been, everyone. For the past three weeks, I’ve gone from nervously pitching my novel to you, to being afraid I’d come way short of my goal, to hitting my goal early, to watching it grow almost exponentially, to seeing it enter the land of Just Plain Nuts. For a writer not used to getting paid for his fiction, this time has been one of the most exhilarating of my life. I profoundly thank you for helping to make this particular dream a reality.

I’ve always thought that Roller Disco Saturday Night wouldn’t be a particularly easy sell. It’s got a fun title, maybe the best title I’ve ever used for a book (though two of my mysteries – The Color of Blood and Rust and The Taste of Concrete On Your Tongue – might be even better, just because of their over-the-top pulpiness), but it’s set in an odd era, the mid-80s, and it’s a grownup book about six teenagers having their coming of age story.

It’s a weird concept for a novel, and weird concepts in mainstream books don’t generally fly in 2013. At stores and on Amazon, you’ve got the big blockbuster bestsellers and you’ve got the really struggling obscure people. The midlist – the bastion of novels that were odd and sold well but not bestseller well – has all but disappeared. My books tend to be dick lit Nick Hornby type novels, and as far as I know, there’s one person who sells that type of book well in America, and that’s Nick Hornby. But still I write what I love, because these stories need to come out. This one’s going to come out, I hope, in October.

There’s one day left of my Kickstarter campaign for Roller Disco Saturday Night. I’ve raised enough money to take that month off, and likely another. My goal has been more than met. But I know that some folks had said they wanted to donate near the end, and here we come to the end.

The prizes are still valid, including the personalized poem for $50, the hard-copy signed chapterbook for $100, and the chance to have a character named after you in the book for $250, plus all the in-between digital prizes like my other chapterbooks, the digital compilation of new material, and a first look at Roller Disco when it’s finished. All that’s still valid, for another 26 hours.

Once again, everyone, for donating and making this one of the best things ever in my life. Thank you again, and I’ll check in tomorrow, when we wrap this puppy up.

No comments:

Post a Comment